On top of pure convenience, one of the most valuable benefits of a smart apartment is the energy savings.
To maximize your savings, you should create a schedule in the Zego Resident app for your devices. With a schedule set, you thermostat will turn on/off and set to a specific mode and setpoints based on your pre-defined schedule. Your lights/plugs/outlets will also follow your schedule (*though, they will only turn OFF, not ON).
*This is to avoid accidentally turning on your coffee maker or hair straightener if you have that plugged into a smart plug.
These are the steps you need to follow to set a schedule:
- Make sure you have upgraded to at least version 2.2.0 of the Zego Resident app. You can check the current version by going to Account -> Settings. You must also have Zego Smart installed and active in your apartment already.
- From the Zego Smart tab, click the green button with the three white bars in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. Select "Schedule" from the menu.
- If you do not already have a schedule template selected, click the green "+" button to add a schedule.
- There are five different existing templates with descriptions for each. Select the one that best matches your work schedule or lifestyle. For example, if you work a standard 9-5 job, select the "9 to 5" schedule. This means that your schedule will be set to "Away mode" between 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday. *Customized schedules will be available in a future release.
- After you have selected a schedule template, you need to create the settings for both Home and Away modes. Your schedule settings tell your thermostat how to behave in Home/Away modes. *As you can see below, on my personal thermostat I have HOME set to Auto and the heat and cool setpoint set to 72 and 76, respectively. When I'm in AWAY mode (between 9 am and 5 pm), my thermostat is set to Off.
- After you have created a schedule, it will automatically be activated and you should now see an indicator at the top of your Zego Smart tab that says "Schedule is on & set to Home" (or Away, depending on the time). If you ever need to quickly toggle Home/Away (if you need to run an errand on the weekend or you're home for lunch one day) you can do that by toggling this Home/Away button at the top of the Zego Smart tab.
- If you ever need to change your schedule template (maybe you're taking a vacation!) you can do so by opening the "Schedule" menu again and clicking "Change Schedule Type".